If you suspect a carbon monoxide problem, get fresh air. Then, call your local fire department, or 911, for emergency assistance.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in a matter of minutes, so if you suspect a problem, don’t hesitate to go outside! In an emergency, call your local fire department, or 911, for emergency assistance.
Massachusetts Now Requires Residential Carbon Monoxide Detectors
For complete information about the new Massachusetts requirements for residential carbon monoxide detectors, visit Mass.gov.
Symptoms of Exposure
Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to serious illness and even death.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by automobile engines, small gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns, and natural gas ranges, or by burning charcoal, oil, wood or propane. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces or garages.
Precautions and Safety Measures
Protection is as easy as having your heating system, chimney flues and vents checked once a year by a professional.
Never use a natural gas range or oven to heat a home.
Never use a grill, hibachi, lantern or portable camping stove inside a home, tent or camper.
Take protection to the next level by installing a carbon monoxide alarm.
For more tips on carbon monoxide safety, please download our consumer reference, Carbon Monoxide Information brochure.