Help with Bill
We strive to provide you with reliable and essential energy delivery.
Our work doesn’t stop there—if you are having difficulty paying your bill, we can provide you with affordable payment arrangements and direct you to agencies that may provide financial assistance.
“AutoPay” is a free service that allows customers the convenience of having the monthly gas bill automatically deducted from their checking or savings bank account twenty (20) days from the billing date. It’s a check-free, stamp-free and worry-free way to pay your gas bills. To learn more, call Customer Care at 800.292.5012 or read more about “AutoPay" now.
Budget Payment Plans
Budget payment plans allow customers more affordable payments by averaging higher winter bills with lower summer bills. This helps to spread the cost of winter heating over the entire year. To learn more and find out if you are eligible, please call our Customer Care at 800.292.5012.
Installment Payment Plans for Overdue Balances
Customers may enter into an installment payment plan to pay overdue charges. Berkshire Gas will allow a minimum of four months for the customer to pay overdue balances. A down payment may be required. To learn if you are eligible for a payment plan and the specific details of the plan, please call 800.292.5012.
Low-Income Discount Rate
Discounted non-heating and heating delivery charges are available to low-income residential customers that:
- Qualify for any means-tested public benefit program; OR
- Are eligible for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) or its successor program AND the household's gross income does not exceed 60% of the state median income (SMI) level; OR
- Meet other criteria approved by the MDPU.
Please call 800.292.5012 for more information.
Financial Hardship is certified when residential customers meet the income eligibility guideline for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Please call 800.292.5012 for more information.
Berkshire Gas RAMP Program
If you are experiencing a financial hardship in which your household income is within sixty percent (60%) of the State Median Income (SMI) guideline, you may be eligible for The Berkshire Gas Company, Residential Arrearage Management Program (RAMP).
- The RAMP program forgives past due bills for qualified low income residential customers, that have active accounts.
- Forgiveness credits are applied over time, on a monthly basis, and conditional upon a monthly customer payment of the current charges over a minimum twelve (12) month payment agreement.
- Program participants receive forgiveness credits to their past due account once all program requirements have been met. (Some restrictions may apply.)
Read more about the RAMP program.
Protection from Disconnection
Protection from disconnection of gas service due to non-payment is provided when all members of the household are sixty-five years of age or older (written proof of age required). The company cannot terminate your service for failure to pay a past due bill without the approval of the MDPU. If you cannot pay your bill all at once, you may be able to work out a payment plan with the company. You have a right to a hearing at the MDPU before termination of service. If you have any questions or want further information, call the company at 800.292.5012 or the MDPU Consumer Division at 800.392.6066 or TYY (for the hearing impaired only) at 800.323.3298.
Protection from disconnection of gas service due to non-payment can also be provided when the customer cannot afford to pay the overdue utility bills because of financial hardship (written declaration of financial hardship required); AND
- All adult members of the household are sixty-five years of age or older; AND a minor child resides in the home (written proof of age required); OR
- A member of the household has a physician-certified serious illness; OR
- A child under twelve months of age resides in the home. (Written proof of age required) OR
- The customer heats the home by natural gas. Protection is only provided during the winter period of November 15 to March 15.
Please call 800.292.5012 for more information.
Other Financial Assistance Resources
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - A federally funded program to assist eligible low-income households pay a portion of home winter heating bills. LIHEAP is available to both homeowners and renters. Eligibility and payment amount determined by family size and gross annual household income. Additional assistance may be available for energy efficiency improvements and/or heating system repairs or replacement.
LIHEAP is available through:
- Berkshire Community Action Council:
- Community Action Pioneer Valley
Good Neighbor Energy Fund - The grant program provides electric, gas, or oil heating assistance to Massachusetts residents whose gross annual household income falls at or below the income guideline. This program is funded by Massachusetts utilities and utility customers. The grant per eligible household varies each year depending on available funds and the number of households in need of assistance.
The Good Neighbor Energy Fund is administered by the Salvation Army.
- Amherst - 413.586.5243
- Pittsfield - 413.442.0624
- North Adams - 413.663.7987
- Greenfield - 413.773.3154