Understand Your Usage
Understanding your energy use can help put you in control of your monthly bills. With natural gas costs expected to increase in the coming months, you can prepare by using these tips to reduce your energy use while maintaining your comfort. Budget Billing can also help balance seasonal energy costs over the year. If you or someone you know is having trouble paying their bill – we are here to help with programs, payment plans and assistance available.
Your monthly bill is affected by the price of energy and the amount of energy you use. Your energy costs include the delivery cost from your utility and the supply cost based on the supply option you have selected. As your energy delivery company, we build and maintain a safe, reliable system to deliver your energy supply to you. The supply charge is what you pay your supplier for the energy you use. If you purchase your supply from us, we pass through that cost without profit. While we have no control over the actual price of energy, we do purchase and store natural gas supplies to help buffer some of the market changes in energy prices throughout the year to provide our customers with the best possible prices. You can also shop for your supply through a third-party supplier, also referred to as marketers or retail agents.
How much natural gas you use varies from day to day and month to month, depending upon a variety of factors including how many people are in your home, your daily habits, the weather, and the time of year.
Now that cooler months are here, stay comfortable while understanding energy costs
Here are some tips to reduce your energy use and maintain your comfort this heating season:
- Set the thermostat as low as comfort permits. Each degree above 68º F can use 3% more energy.
- Install a programmable or wi-fi thermostat to automatically control your heating and save money by lowering the temperature when you’re not home.
- Clean or replace furnace filters as recommended and have your furnace burner checked and cleaned annually by a contractor. A well cleaned and tuned heating system saves you money.
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees F (Many are preset at 140 degrees F).
Your energy costs will be spread evenly over 12 months so you know how much your bill will be every month. You can enroll, increase or cancel your Budget Billing installments at berkshiregas.com or by calling 800.292.5012 to speak to one of our Customer Care representatives.
Sign up for Budget Billing.
Track and understand your energy use. With Energy Analyzer you can create a checklist of ways to save and get helpful tips for managing your natural gas use.
Home Energy Services
Whether you are a homeowner, a tenant, or a landlord, scheduling a no-cost Home Energy Assessment (HEA) is the first step in identifying energy efficiency opportunities. After your HEA, you’ll get a custom energy report outlining recommendations, next steps, and rebates and incentives. (note: virtual assessments are available as well)
You may qualify for the following:
- No-cost air sealing
- 75% (or more) off approved insulation improvements
- Landlords get 100% off approved insulation improvements when all eligible units participate
- Up to $2,750 toward heating system replacements
- $150 rebate off the purchase of an ENERGY STAR® certified clothes washer
- The opportunity to apply for 0% HEAT Loan financing for eligible upgrades
- Discounted wireless thermostats with free installation
Visit masssave.com for more information on this program and other available rebates and incentives we offer as a proud sponsor of the Mass Save Program.